Saturday, August 07, 2010

American Gods

I've started re-reading American Gods, partly as a weird way of dealing with something I'm not going to get into now, and doing what I've been doing with books since high school - imagining them as movies. I have a lot of views about the complexities of adapting a book into a good movie, and don't you dare ever tell me the book is always better because it's all just different ways of telling a story. Even a "true" adaptation of a book into a movie is just the interpretation of one person, or more likely a group of people. Anyway, this isn't going to turn into a lengthy rant about my views, this is about my American Gods movie, or particularly, the cast.

I started with Mad Sweeney. I want him to be played by Leonardo DeCaprio. He's just kind of perfect for a drunk, belligerant leprechaun who doesn't sound at all Irish. The bit about the accent reminded me of David Boreanaz, who, as Angel, also lost his accent (thankfully) by being stateside for so long. I decided I wanted Boreanaz to play Shadow. He can do stoic angst very well, and is perfectly huge for the intimidating but gentle ex-con. Also, if I can't get Leo for Sweeney, I can always get David's bff Christian Kane (played evil lawyer Lindsey on Angel) to do it.

Then, Laura came back from the dead kind of, and I realized I had set my cast perfectly to include Sarah Michelle Gellar. You could say I'm just fanboying at this point, but you'd be wrong, because even though I'm a big fan of both Buffy and Angel as television shows, I kind of dislike them as characters and the Buffy/Angel relationship is the most annoying one of all time. Still, they've got chemistry and experience with supernaturally awkward relationships. Wonder if she'd actually accept it, though. Still, I'm more likely to get her than anyone else, when you compare all their current carreers.

Haven't gotten around to casting Wednesday, yet. Maybe Gary Oldman, and that way I could keep him around as Baron Klaus Wulfenbach. Gary Oldman never gets treasure.

More if I keep doing this.

No comments: